[aprssig] WX station transmit rate?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jan 27 08:30:31 EST 2005

The APRS spec specifies the data rate for local direct or one hop
packets to be 10 minutes.  For anything beyond one hop to be
30 minutes.  This is built into most clients and digipeaters.  It
would seem to be appropriate for WX as well.  de WB4APR, Bob

[mailto:aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org]
> Subject: [aprssig] WX station transmit rate?
>
> Are there any guidelines for the transmission rate of an ordinary
weather
> station?
>
> Mine's transmitting every 15 minutes on a lightly-loaded network
(Wyoming -
> need I say more?).  Well, I guess it's lightly-loaded right here, but
the
> northern edge of the greater Denver metro area is within a couple of
hops.

> How about the path?  Here in Wyoming the weather can vary
dramatically over
> relatively small horizontal distances, due to varying elevation.
> So I figure it would be useful for travellers (I'm along I-80) to
have WX
> info for greater distances than might be necessary in the flatlands.
I'm

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020
FAX:  979.847.8578 Pager:  979.228.0173