[aprssig] WX station transmit rate?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jan 27 08:42:31 EST 2005

>>Bob said: Fixed stations should never use RELAY as a
>> first hop except as a one-time experiment if all else
>> fails, just to find out if there is another fixed RELAY
>> nearby.  If there is, then you should find out its call
>> and use that instead...
>
> RIchard Says: That works .. EXCEPT .. you are making
>the assumption  that that RELAY is on  the air 24/7

"Except", I am saying that network stewardship and reducing
the load on the network is a responsibility that everyone
shares.   Thus the redundant benefit of a WX station being
heard over hundreds of square miles using a path of
RELAY,WIDE to mitigate against the rare case of the failure
of a local RELAY, has to be weighed against the doubling or
tripling of the 24/7 load on the network  because of every
packet being transmitted with two to four times the load
it would generate if the more efficient path of WIDE2-2
were used.

I say, the benefit of halving the load 24/7 outweighs the
benefit of hearing a few WX packets on the rare occasion
of a RELAY digi going down.

Part of the New n-N Paradigm is to get everyone to start
taking a more active role in network stewardship and
responsibilty for their use of the channel...

de WB4APR, Bob