[aprssig] WX station transmit rate?

Larry Cerney lcerney at viawest.net
Wed Jan 26 18:22:46 EST 2005

Subject: [aprssig] WX station transmit rate?

Are there any guidelines for the transmission rate of an ordinary weather
station?

[Larry Cerney] Not really.  There are the "Rule of Thumb" that fixed
stations should only beacon no more than once every 20 minutes, but
preferably less.  But with a fixed WX station offering information to the
public once every 10 minutes should be O.K.

Mine's transmitting every 15 minutes on a lightly-loaded network (Wyoming -
need I say more?).  Well, I guess it's lightly-loaded right here, but the
northern edge of the greater Denver metro area is within a couple of hops.

[Larry Cerney] I run the Igate in Denver and I'm not seeing you here.
That's a good thing, nothing personal;-)  Your path of RELAY,WIDE I think is
fine.  I checked FindU and it seem that you WX reports are making it over
the pass via KK7CN-8 to WK0C's Igate in Cheyenne.  I can sometimes here
KK7CN-8 direct here in Denver, but I would guess when KK7CN-8 repeats the WX
beacon as RELAY the WIDE in Fort Collins, WA0BAG will repeat it again and
stop there.

How about the path?  Here in Wyoming the weather can vary dramatically over
relatively small horizontal distances, due to varying elevation.
So I figure it would be useful for travellers (I'm along I-80) to have WX
info for greater distances than might be necessary in the flatlands.  I'm
currently using RELAY,WIDE, which is sufficient to get it into findu, which
is useful.

[Larry Cerney] From where I stand I see no problem with your path.  How
often you beacon the WX out is up to you.  NWS is looking for WX data every
5 minutes to smooth out their curves.  I send my WX reports into the
Internet every 5 minutes, but only beacon them out on RF every 15 minutes.

73....
Larry
K0ANI

I have the only WX station on the air (no pun intended) in this area.

David, KY7DR, Laramie, WY