[aprssig] WX station transmit rate?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jan 26 18:40:07 EST 2005

David,

You say you are using RELAY,WIDE as a path, but since
all surrounding digs in Wyoming support WIDEn-N, then
it is at least twice as efficient for you to use the path
of WIDE2-2.  You will hit all the same digis, but there
will only be 1/3 as many dupes as the RELAY,WIDE
path generates...

This is part of the New n-N Paradigm.  To stop using
W,W and W,W,W paths because they generate so many
dupes.  Fixed stations should never use RELAY as a
first hop except as a one-time experiment if all else
fails.  just to find out if there is another fixed RELAY
nearby.  If there is, then you should find out its call
and use that instead...

Bob

>>> david at davidarush.com 1/26/05 5:30:21 PM >>>
Are there any guidelines for the transmission rate of an ordinary
weather
station?

Mine's transmitting every 15 minutes on a lightly-loaded network
(Wyoming -
need I say more?).  Well, I guess it's lightly-loaded right here, but
the
northern edge of the greater Denver metro area is within a couple of
hops.

How about the path?  Here in Wyoming the weather can vary dramatically
over
relatively small horizontal distances, due to varying elevation.
So I figure it would be useful for travellers (I'm along I-80) to have
WX
info for greater distances than might be necessary in the flatlands.
I'm
currently using RELAY,WIDE, which is sufficient to get it into findu,
which
is useful.

I have the only WX station on the air (no pun intended) in this area.

David, KY7DR, Laramie, WY