[aprssig] New Mexico and Arizona... New n-N Paradigm

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jan 20 10:11:42 EST 2005

Sorry, I missed the word "email"  I thought you meant
APRS messages.    Bob

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:51:20 -0500, Robert Bruninga wrote:

>> BTW, a way to test for how much "n-N" you need...
>> is to send yourself a couple email messages.  Watch for a "My
Message"
>> echo so you know a digi saw you, and then wait for an ACK.  Do that
>> couple times at different path settings.  No ACK indicates you may
>> need to increase the "N".
>
> Maybe I am missing something, but this will tell you nothig about
> getting into an IGate.  At the first digi your station will see its
own
> message and may
> generate the ack there.  (though that shouldnt happen since stations
are
> not supposed to be capturing their own packets...  You may want to
> elaborate a little more on what you meant?

Probably my misinterpretation of the ACK.  I thought the ACK originated
from the
addressee upon receipt, the "EMAIL" alias at WU2Z.  I figured the
"delivered"
message he sends comes later after his server dispatches the email.  If
the ACK
is coming from a digi, my trick fails.  In that case, it takes longer,
but one
will have to allow time for a "Message delivered" message to be
returned by
WU2Z.

By "send yourself" .. I meant send your home internet-email-address an
email,
not a message to your own APRS unit.  Not sure if that might be what
you were
responding to.
 --
    Gary, WS5N