[aprssig] New Mexico and Arizona... New n-N Paradigm

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jan 20 10:10:36 EST 2005

>>> "J. Gary Bender, WS5N" <WS5N at mindspring.com> 1/20/05 1:44:56 AM >>>
>How is RELAY,WIDE worse than WIDE2-2?

SImple.  WIDE2-2 activates a special DUPE filter that
works on CONTENT.  Thus each digi will never duplicate
that same packet in the next 30 seconds.

RELAY,WIDE on the other hand only activates the
callsign substitution filter.  That digi will never dupe a
copy of thta same packet that it has already inserted its
callsign, but it WILL duplicate every copy of that same
packet that it hears from other digipeaters that also heard
the packet first.

In the case of RELAY, this means that if 2 home stations
and two digis hear the initial packet, then there are a total
of FOUR initial hop packets that BOTH of these digis will
send for a total of eight dupes in the vicinity of these two
initial digis and 24 dupes further out as the second tier
of digis (3 for each initial digi) also repeat every initial dupe.

A WIDE2-2 will only generate two copies in the vicinity of
the first 2 digis and then the 3 other digis that surround these
initial two will also only digipeat it ONCE each for a total of
only 8 total copies...

>  I thoughtI was being a good guy with R,W2-2 while driving
>cross country and R,W when local!

You were.  That has always been the recommended path.  But
we are realizing that going to WIDE2-2 is of such great advantage
to the network, that it is worth doing now....  Unfortunately, in
those
few areas that have PACCOMM digi TNC's the WIDE2-2 wont
work until those SYSOPS add WIDE2-2 to their alias list.

So that is the #1 priority all across the USA is to get all
"T" digipeaters to add WIDE2-2 as one of its aliases.  Then
to change its overlay character from "T" to "P" (Paccomm)
so that we know when the change was made...

>When traveling, should I go to RELAY,WIDE2-2?

Until I see lots of "P" digipeaters, I'd probably use RELAY too.
But lets get those "T" digipeaters changed ASAP...

>When I put a permanent station at my cabin, I will be able to
>fill a large area that is shadowed by the mesa I am on top of.
>Should my filler station be a RELAY, which it is conceptually,
>or a WIDE2-2 digipeater?

If it is a KPC-3+ and it is in a WIDEn-N state, then make it
UITRACE WIDE,30 to support WIDEn-N.  If it is a STATEn-N
state, then make UITRACE SS,30.

If the TNC is not a KPC-3+ or UIDIGI ROM or DIGI_NED PC,
then simply give it both aliases of RELAY and WIDE2-2.  This
can usually be done by making MYALIAS RELAY and makeing
some other callsign in the TNC such as MYNODE or MYBBS
be WIDE2-2.

Bob