[aprssig] New Mexico and Arizona... New n-N Paradigm

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jan 19 09:27:15 EST 2005

For NM (and AZ I think) which has most of their populations
near the center of the state, I think the best fix wouild be:

1) Make UITRACE in all digis support NMn-N.  This will
instantly stop all WIDEn-N QRM

2) Put WIDE2-2 and WIDE3-3 in the UIDIGI list.  This
will continue to support mobiles driving through with
those courteous paths.

3) They may leave UIFLOOD WIDEn-N in the extreme border
digis (wilderness) since it wont hurt them in Albuquerque
But These digis will still have NMn-N too in the UITRACE
parameter.

THey can do this overnight.  Done.

THis lets the WIDEn-N fly around the wilderness edges of
the state, but dones not focus it all inward which is what is
happening now...

de WB4APR, Bob
.

Easiest fix it sounds like in NM is to turn all the digis into
NMn-N new mexico digis.  This will work wonderfully in
states like Arizona and NM where most of the central
population is central to the state.

Or if NM or Arizona wants to continue to support WIDEn-N,
then simply trap-out WIDE4-4, WIDE5-5 and WIDE6-6 by
putting those in the UIDIGI so that they get stopped at the
border.

Actually, I think that is how I woiuld do it.  Keep WIDEn-N
in those states, but get EVERY DIGI in ALL states to
start traping out WIDE5-5, 6-6

>>> Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> 1/19/05 3:49:07 AM >>>
On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 12:53:33AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron
collision of the <needhame1 at plateautel.net> flavor, containing:

> 	Hey, I'm in Clovis, New Mexico -- that's about 200 miles east of

> Albuquerque and only 100 miles northwest of Lubbock, Texas, in
DM84jk.

I live near Escabosa, NM, about 20 mi. SE of Albuquerque, in DM64ux.
My APRS
experience here near town is very different from what you're
experiencing out
near Clovis.

At least in my view from near Albuquerque, the WIDEN-n situation is a
mess.

> 	I just got home from a week on the road.  Had a lot of time to
think
> 	about things and listen to the actual audio on 144.39 around the
country.
> It was pretty busy in Salt Lake city, not quite so busy near
Albuquerque,

Egad.  If the racket I hear near Albuquerque when *I* turn up the
volume on
the data channel is "not quite so busy" then I don't wanna know what
busy is.
I hear almost continuous traffic with obvious signs of overlapping wide

digipeaters stepping all over each other.  As I watch the panel of my
D700 when
in town, the packets are getting clobbered so badly that only a very
small
fraction are decoded.  At one point I wondered if it was just message
traffic
the D700 wasn't displaying, but that hope was quashed when I actually
watched
the packet monitor.  It's just undecodable cacophony.

Of the nearly 150 stations I've got showing up on my home (RF-only)
station,
81 are digipeaters, most of them WIDEN-n digis, and a large fraction of
those
are in states.  I'm seeing digipeaters from as far away as 500 miles,
most of
those using WIDE5-5 or WIDE7-7 paths.  Looking at some of the paths,
they're
getting from the NM border to Albuquerque in about 3 hops (in fact, the

farthest station is down near Del Rio, TX --- it took 4 hops to get to
the
first New Mexico digi near Capitan, and two hops from there to get to
me).

All of that is brought to me courtesy of the three WIDEN-n digis that
constitute the only stations I can hear directly from the home
station.

When I have to mess around with low-power trackers just about anywhere
in
central NM reliability is marginal or nonexistent, largely because it
is
difficult for the trackers to get a word in edgewise to the digipeaters
---
they can't hear the traffic and think the channel's clear, but the digi
can't
hear them because it's too busy listening to 4 other digis non-stop,
passing
WIDE7-7 packets from digipeaters in central Texas to the ether near
central
Arizona.

Something that needs fixed here in NM, at least in central NM.  I'm not
quite
sure what it is or how dramatically things need changed, but
something's gotta
get tweaked to get the APRS network cleaned up here.

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY     SAR502  DM64ux
http://www.swcp.com/~russo/