[aprssig] A few thoughts from the road

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jan 31 12:28:55 EST 2005

>>> needhame1 at plateautel.net 1/29/05 2:32:24 PM >>>
>>In the wide open spaces it is perfectly fine to use a larger
>>value of N.  I think most western states will stay with WIDEn-N.
>>Shoudl work just fine for areas like yours.
>>Its only back east and other dense areas where WIDE2-2
>i>s preferred.
>
>But what about places like Albuquerque, where the network is
>(apparently) close to saturation?   Anything more than 2-2
>that I use here may get into Albuquerque and add to the mess.

That  is the neat thing about the New n-N paradigm.  If they
need to reduce the load coming into their area, then they can
use their DIGI settings to solve that problem.  You can still use
WIDEn-N in your area, since your area is sparse and can easily
handle say a WIDE4-4.

If they dont want WIDE4-1 packets to get into Albuquerque
They put WIDE4-2 as a FILTER alias in the digipeaters
surrounding their central digis and this way your packet
dies on the outskirts.

Bob