[aprssig] New Mexico and Arizona... New n-N Paradigm

J. Gary Bender, WS5N WS5N at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 19 12:15:13 EST 2005

Tom has a point with overlapping digi coverage around Albuquerque.  When driving
around the local area I run 5 watts, simple whip antenna, and RELAY,WIDE.  I
often see 5 or 6 repeats of "My Position".  This is mostly up in the mountains,
however, which complicates coverage patterns.

I also spend a lot of time at my cabin in western NM, near Fence Lake, about 30
miles east of the AZ state line.  I have found that RELAY,WIDE2-2 consistently
gets me to an IGate on the drive and at the cabin.  Out that way I kick the
power up to 50 watts in the mobile.  I want non-ham friends to see me on
map.findu.com, so hitting an IGate is my primary design parameter.

BTW, a way to test for how much "n-N" you need from a location to reach an IGate
is to send yourself a couple email messages.  Watch for a "My Message" echo so
you know a digi saw you, and then wait for an ACK.  Do that a couple times at
different path settings.  No ACK indicates you may need to increase the "N".

--
J. Gary Bender, WS5N
Tijeras, New Mexico USA