[aprssig] Bob B statements

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jan 17 10:05:24 EST 2005

>This is but an example of one of your ever increasing
>statements that causes people to gravitate away from
>APRS forums that you use to spew your arrogant
>and demeaning comments

I'm sorry you see it as arrogance and demeaning, but
in Ham Radio, knowing and seeing the approximate relative
range of communications of stations and assets is
fundamental to being  able to communicate in the field.
PHG is fundamental to APRS.

There is an order of magnitude difference in range between
a digi at 20 feet and one at 2000 feet.  Yet to UIview they
look identical on the map.  Just a little green star.

APRS was based on the fundamental assumption  that users
would see that diffference on the map and then know what
path was needed for communications under varried conditions.

>... now you complain about the other clients and users who
>aren't doing it your way.

I'm not trying to get people to do it -my- way, I am a USER
of Ham Radio and I -need- to know radio range in just about
everything I do with APRS, which is trying to improve the
network, operate in the field, and operate mobile.  I cannot
make any sense out of the network if I cannot see its
topologyy and connecctivity and radio range.

I welcomed UIview and worked with Roger on getting APRS
into UIview, and was excited about its prospects but then
found that the software had many shortcomings frustrating
my real communicatiosn needs.   But then my needs are
proabaly different than many users.  Mine are along these
lines:

I do not use APRS on the internet, I like the radio side of
Ham Radio for local communications.

I work with the RF network and need to see connectivity.
and radio range, where the holes are, where we have too
many digis, etc..

I don't "use" APRS at home, I use it in the field for special
events and to provide  digital communications support to
other Ham Radio functions.  That need to be able to
efficiently and quickly communiate rapidly changing data.

I use APRS in my mobile as my primary source of data
on what is going on around me in Ham Radio.

I'm just a user like everyone else.  But APRS is not an end
in itself.  It is only a tool in support of communcatins needs.
I'm sorry that you take it badly, but when I find glaring
errors in software that prevents me from doing what I need
to do, I complain...

Someone has to point out the shortcomings that
impact us today so that future authors don't make the same
significant omissions and just think of APRS as some
internet video game...   de WB4APR, Bob

PHG range knowledge is not going to make any newcomer or for that
matter,
anyone interested in APRS completely equipped to know of the workings of
the
APRS RF network, connectivity, loading or proper RF settings. There are
many
other factors than just PHG range.

There was recently an add on to the APRS client you referred to in your
statement to display the ALOHA circle. This client stands well by itself
yet
also has been given the ability to have add ons written to enhance the
program.

Educating the new users and current users is surely a better way to help

those understand the network rather than your methods of demeaning and
proselytizing.

>But since one of the most popular "APRS" clients doesn't
>even display PHG ranges to its users, we are ending up with
>a generation of APRS users who are blind to the APRS RF
>network, connectivity, loading and proper RF settings.

>de Wb4APR, Bob

73,

Randy, KK6RW