[aprssig] When to run a RELAY (and mobile ERP)

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Sun Jan 16 11:09:21 EST 2005

Wouldn't it be nice if your mobile rig could figure that out for itself?  If we
had the smarts in a TNC, we could know the PHG circle of the digi, and perhaps
your tracker could realize that it was too far from the digipeater but closer
to a home station and specify that home station's callsign.  No need for RELAYs
at all...

because PHG uses logarithms, the math is a little hard for a simple processor.
I wish there was an alternative to PHG that just specified the range in miles
or KM's (or fractions of a degree lattitude).  Of course it would be harder to
offset coverage due to beam antennas, but in most cases we don't run beams.

Ohh well, there's always opentrac {ducking}.

Wes