[aprssig] When to run a RELAY (and mobile ERP)

Rich Mazzeo forummail at richmazz.com
Sat Jan 15 23:03:43 EST 2005

    As we know, too many local RELAYs can add to the QRM.  It would be nice
to have some guideline to determine when a home station should be a fill-in
RELAY.
Something like:
"If a mobile running X watts ERP can't reach a digipeater directly while
within Y miles of a home station (potential fill-in RELAY) then the station
should be a RELAY."
What ERP should we base mobiles on to determine this?
And how large of a coverage hole should we tolerate before we turn on a
relay?  1sq mile is probably not worth the extra traffic.  5? 7? This also
depends on where the hole is.  Interstate vs. local road.

And of course on the flip side: "If a mobile running X watts can reach a
WIDE directly while within Y miles of an existing fill-in RELAY, then RELAY
should be disabled."

--
Rich
N3XKU