[aprssig] Final version of New n-N aradigm

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Tue Jan 11 10:41:31 EST 2005

What we really need is smarter RELAY digis.... we should have the APRS software
disable the MYA RELAY in TNCs, and ONLY if you run in KISS mode can you be a
relay.  The reason for this is that in order to make the relay stations
smarter, they need to queue a packet instead of RELAYing it immediately.  Then
if, say 5 seconds goes by and the packet isn't heard from one of the "big 3",
then relay it... otherwise discard it and realize that there is no need to
relay forward to a digi.

I think DOS aprs is the only aprs client remaining that does not provide KISS as
a connection method.  We could just ask DOS aprs users in the LA area to turn
off their TNCs built in RELAY function.  Of course there is no chance to add
this feature to UI-View... bummer.

Another thing that would be slick would be if the darned UIDIGI and UIFLOOD
parms used the same checksum dupe checker.  If a digi had already repeated a
packet, and 2 seconds later, a RELAY station digi'ed the same packet, the main
digipeater would see that the checksum of the payload was the same and would
not digipeat the RELAY's copy again (becuase it had been already digi'ed by the
main digipeater).

Wes