[aprssig] Is 9600 Baud Okay on 2Mtr's?

Henk de Groot henk.de.groot at hetnet.nl
Sun Jan 9 10:37:38 EST 2005

At 23:08 4-1-2005 -0800, Bill Vodall wrote:
>It is a known deficiency in the Kenwoods...
>
>http://www.raag.org/sv2agw/kenwood.htm

Here is a report I've send to the APRSSIG on June 10, 2001 regarding use of
the TH-D7 in KISS:

Executive Summary (Detailed description will follow below)
Good news: The TH-D7E V2.0 in KISS works!!!

         | USE MAXFRAME of 1, at most 2 on your transmissions |
         | and the TH-D7 will not hang with the "con" "sta"   |
         | indicators lit anymore. MAXFRAME 3 and up gives    |
         | problems, at least at 1200 baud                    |

Uplink:
-------
Sending 250 byte data-frames are no problem. Apparently the TH-D7 has enough
storage capacity to hold the data and the AX.25 header of a full-size frame.
MAXFRAME however is a problem. Sending 1 frame at a time works reliable.
Sending 2 frames at a time doesn't gain much since they are send as two
separate frames anyway. I got a CRC error with YAPP using 2 frames, but you
may get away with it... When sending 3 or more frames to the TH-D7 in one go
then the TNC hangs with the "con" and "sta" indication burning. I would
recommend to use a MAXFRAME of 1 on the TH-D7 in KISS mode.

Downlink:
---------
When using 1200 baud there are no problems with reception. At least 3
consecutive frames with 230 bytes of payload data each works fine (no digis
in the header). With 9600 baud the transmitting station should send only one
information frame at a time since the TH-D7 can only buffer one frame on
reception. If the sender sends more frames then the link will become very
slow due to a lot of retransmissions. Two TH-D7's may work together however
due to the way adjacent frames are transmitted. But since the TH-D7 is at
its best when it uses a MAX-FRAME of 1, this is not really an advantage.

Detailed description:
---------------------
First the good news. You can send binary packets with 250 bytes payload.
Reception works okay too.

I conducted some tests on a connection-oriented link at 1200 baud with our
near-by packet BBS. I used a connection-oriented link to be able to do a
YAPP upload and download. The tools I used for this are TSTHOST 1.43 (dos)
and the TFPCX 2.73 driver. The maximum packet size I used was 250 bytes,
TSTHOST will not accept a higher setting but I bet 256 bytes works fine
since 256 bytes also works on UI frame transmissions.

I put the THD7 in KISS the following way:
TC 1
TC 0
XFLOW OFF
PACLEN 0
TX 25
KISS ON
RESTART
(Note: TC is not a TNC command but a THD7 command. TC 1 switches the TNC off,
TC 0 switches it on. This way I know for sure that I have a clean start! For
the "TC 1" command capitals letters are important, otherwise it doesn't
work.)

My BBS is not using DAMA, if it does also insert "PPERSIST OFF" and "DWAIT
0" after the "TX 25" setting. NEVER USE THIS ON NON-DAMA LINKS!

Binary uploading:
-----------------
I have a good link with the BBS and there was nobody else using the same
QRG. I started a YAPP upload of a .ZIP file (actually dnexe030.zip...).

So I tried a MAX-FRAME of 6 (MAX-FRAME of 7 gives problems with some
implementations, that's why I never go beyond 6). The THD7 is not able to
intermediately store 6 frames. Within seconds it hangs with the "con" and
"sta" indication lit in the screen. There is no response from the TNC
anymore, I can however still send the command "TC 1" to switch the TNC off.
The link speed to the radio is 9600 baud while the air interface is only
1200 baud. That's why the THD7 will have to buffer the frames.

I restarted the attempt, this time I set MAX-FRAME to 1. This actually works
without getting a hang-up. I am able to transfer 70 Bytes/second this way
according to TSTHOST's information. 1200 baud equals to 150 Bytes/second but
you have to subtract the RX/TX changeover time and the protocol-overhead,
this is actually not too bad when sending only 1 frame at a time. I used a
TXdelay of 25, which is 250 ms which works reliable on the TH7D.

Now that I know a MAX-FRAME of 1 works I bumped the number of frames up to
see where the limit is. MAX-FRAME of 2 reveals an interesting thing, which I
did not know. The two frames are not transmitted as one block by the TH-D7,
but also 2 consecutive frames; the TH-D7 shortly interrupts the transmission
between the two frames. The BBS receives the frames okay so the TH-D7
apparently inserts also a TXdelay between the frames. The first attempt to
upload the file failed. YAPP aborted with a CRC error. The second time went
better. The transmission speed was a bit higher, 88 Bytes/second.

I went to MAX-FRAME of 3. That was interesting too. First of all I noticed
that the data was not flowing okay anymore. Looking the monitor screen I saw
that the BBS was consistently loosing the 3rd frame. I guess that is because
it was not transmitted all right anymore. After some time I aborted the
upload and low-and-behold, the TNC hang himself with "con" and "sta"
burning.

What I could make of this is that the TH-D7 just buffers 1 complete frame.
The TNC can also hold 1 TX frame. When I use a MAX-FRAME of 1, I hardly see
the "sta" indication. I assume that the KISS frame that just arrived is
passed on to the TNC immediately for transmission. With a MAX-FRAME of 2
this also is okay, 1 frame is in the TNC, the other in the TH-D7 firmware.
An extra RR frame will fit also, but not a complete new I frame. When
overrun the TH-D7 gives up. So never pass more than 2 frames to the TH-D7 in
KISS. I'm guessing now, but I think the reason why the TH-D7 has no problem
in TAPR mode is because of XON/XOFF flow control. In transparent KISS
software flow-control does not work.

I set MAXFRAME back to 1 and uploaded the whole file, 239022 bytes, which
succeeds in one go without a single hiccup (it is a torture for the TH-D7
however, it got really hot since is took almost an hour to complete!). When
I do a "DIR" in the DOSFBB directory then the size matches the original.
This file will now be used for the next test where I retrieve it again using
YAPP.

Binary downloading:
-------------------
With uploading I uploaded a ZIP file of 239022 bytes. Now I try to download
it again using YAPP. This time I don't have much control over the packet
size and the number of packets I am receiving.

The BBS I use sends packets with 230 bytes of payload data and a MAX-FRAME
of 3. I went to the directory where I uploaded my ZIP file and started the
download procedure. This went without problems. Frankly I also did not
expect any problems. There is no buffering problem in the TH-D7 during
download since the KISS link is much faster than the 1200-baud radio link.
There are never more than 2 full packets in the TH-D7: The received packet,
which is currently send to the KISS link and the packet being collected in
the TNC from RF. I got a speed of 97 Bytes/second. I remember similar
figures from the days when I used to have a BayCom modem for up- and
downloading to the FBB-BBS. It looks quite normal to me.

I have noticed before, problems arise when using 9600 baud. In that case the
TH-D7 will only receive the first information frame of a block of I-frames
correctly. When the TH-D7 has only internal storage for 1 frame then this
adds up. With 1200 baud the buffer is cleared before the next frame arrives.
With 9600 baud this is not the case anymore. The 9600 synchronous data-rate
on RF is higher than the asynchronous data-rate on the KISS link. So the
next frame is received before the buffer is cleared and the TH-D7 has to
drop that frame. As noticed above, when sending 2 frames with a TH-D7 the
transmission is shortly interrupted between the two frames. This may buy
enough time to clear the buffer so 2 TH-D7's talking to each other with 9600
baud may work for that reason (and if it is still too fast the Txdelay can
be increased to increase the time between the information frames). When
using another implementation also the transmitter has to restrict its
transmissions to 1 frame at a time. If not the link will become very slow
due to retransmissions.

After I downloaded my ZIP file, which proceeded without any problem, I
compared the downloaded file with the original. A binary compare showed no
difference at all.

There may be a potential killing bit-pattern. Even when the TH-D7 is in KISS
mode you can switch the TNC off by sending "TC 1<CR>" to the TH-D7. If the
TH-D7 follows the KISS specification the "T" character may be implemented as
a special "command byte", in that case there is no problem. If that is not
the case however than an accidental "TC 1<CR>" sequence in the transmitted
data may switch the TNC off. I have not verified this. The chance this
happens is pretty low I think. The ZIP file I uploaded did not contain such
a pattern.

Kind regards,

Henk.

P.S. Copying and publishing this text is hereby permitted, no explicit
permission from me needed (although its nice to hear if it is usefull).