[aprssig] Is 9600 Baud Okay on 2Mtr's?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jan 5 09:50:11 EST 2005

The problem in testing 9600 is finding a playmate.

But AO51 comes over 6 times a day blathering a continuous 9600 baud
downlink on 435 MHz FM for anyone to receive.  If you only have a
whip antenna, you will still get 2 or3 good passes that you can get
data for a few minutes when it is overhead.

This technique was great when the D7 first came out in 98,
because bak then we had 5 working 9600 baud satellites
offering 30 passes a day of testing.  I carried a 3 element
handheld UHF beam in my briefcase and couild copy the
downlink most of the time.