[aprssig] Is 9600 Baud Okay on 2Mtr's?

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at jnos.org
Wed Jan 5 02:08:59 EST 2005

> I have used my TH-D7 TNC @ 9600 on the AO-51 Satellite without any trouble.
> I just hooked up the laptop, put the internal TNC in KISS mode, set the
> frequency and I was working on A0-51 with no trouble at 9600.

Right.  It will work fine for single small packets.  The question is will it work
with an external TNC for multiple large packets..  ... for real serious
quantities of data.

I know the internal TNC won't...   :-(

> Although I haven't tried Winlink yet, I'm not sure what all the fuss is
> about that the Kenwood radio TNC's won't do the job.  Is this coming from
> people that have tried it and failed or is this based on speculation?  I got
> the same type of response from many AMSAT folks that said you can't work
> AO-51 at 9600 with a Kenwood radio/TNC.  Well, it works fine for me.  With
> the large population of TH-D7 and TM-D700 users, I would think the Winlink
> folks would try their best to embrace them.

It is a known deficiency in the Kenwoods...

http://www.raag.org/sv2agw/kenwood.htm

The winlink folks would love to see them working..  The subject comes up
often.

> A Telpac node just went up locally so I hope to finally try out Winlink this
> week using my TH-D7.  I'll give it a good workout with different sized
> messages and files and post my results here.

That would be appreciated.  Both with hypterm style ASCII messaging, which should
work fine, and for AIRMAIL and PACLINK where you'll probably have less success.
Be sure to use some messages with attachements, like a dump of the findu page,
with the later two applications.

> A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
> http://www.aj3u.com

Bill