[aprssig] time for APRS second generation network?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jan 5 18:53:43 EST 2005

>>> Jason Winningham <jdw at eng.uah.edu> 1/5/05 5:53:43 PM >>>
>> Characteristics:
>> A 1200 baud channel.
>> A net cycle time of 10 minutes for local data, 30 minutes
>> for wider-area data.
>
>I guess I fail to see where anything I said about redesigning the
>current network, primarily at layer 3, is contradicted or invalidated

>by any of those requirements.

Well, in most places where there is a problem, a SINGLE digi
can already hear all 60 stations in the fully saturated network
and there is nothing simpler than a single digi!.  Adding a an
additional layer-3 to the protocol only adds more overhead and
QRM to an already saturated channel..

>> Now, all else is history...

>Nope, all else is implementation details, unless we stick our heads in

>the sand, in which case _APRS_ will be history and people will use
>Rinos with built-in GPSs instead.

And their communication range is only a 1/4 mile!
I dont see any comparison...

Again, the only solution in saturated areas is smaller cell sizes.

Bob