[aprssig] time for APRS second generation network?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Wed Jan 5 17:53:43 EST 2005

On Jan 5, 2005, at 4:28 PM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> DEFINITION:  A tactical real-time local ad-hoc network for
> digital communications among everyone at an event or in
> a situation or LAN.  In today's terms, "to maintain situational
> awareness" of everything involving HAM radio, or the event,
> or the situation in your immediate vicinity.
>
> Characteristics:
> A 1200 baud channel.
> A net cycle time of 10 minutes for local data, 30 minutes
> for wider-area data.

I guess I fail to see where anything I said about redesigning the
current network, primarily at layer 3, is contradicted or invalidated
by any of those requirements.

> Now, all else is history...

Nope, all else is implementation details, unless we stick our heads in
the sand, in which case _APRS_ will be history and people will use
Rinos with built-in GPSs instead.

-Jason
kg4wsv