[aprssig] time for APRS second generation network?

Phillip B. Pacier ad6nh at arrl.net
Wed Jan 5 15:36:47 EST 2005

The real valuable thing here would be to take a look at implementing the
UHF backbone that Bob has talked about so many times.  In our current
state, there is the potential for any packet to go any given theoretical
distance based on path.  If you take a look at Bob's plan, the RF
networks are connected by a 9600 backbone (which will work just fine on
a stationary mountaintop).  Putting up UHF 9600 baud equipment is not
cheap, but it is a good plan.

 From my AD6NH station here in Orange County, CA, I can hit on the
average six digipeaters with my tracker (if the channel is quiet).
Driving in a low flat spot in the middle of the county, sending out a
beacon at WIDE2-2 produces about 10 returns on my D7.  Perhaps the
solution is to shut some of the digipeaters down for good, or convert
them to an alternate channel.  The reason why APRS worked so much better
back in 1998 when I started playing with it is not necessarily because
there were so many fewer users, but because there were so many fewer
digipeaters.  I used to be able to go 400 miles or better on two hops
with a high rate of success.  And no one has challenged the basis of
this whole topic - digipeater QRM.  There are too many digipeaters in
Southern California, and perhaps in some other areas.  Much of this n-N
paradigm and RELAY,WIDE discussion would be mute if we would just turn
off some of the digipeaters.  Unfortunately, some digi owners have too
much pride to admit that they would be helping the network by removing a
digi or two.  I have run into the same problem with some IGate owners.
I'd be the first to shut down any part of my station if it were causing
QRM.  I used to run a full-duplex IGate until I realized it was causing
much QRM with Greg's established So. Cal. IGate, and after some
discussion I shut it down.  I don't want a pat on the back - I want to
know why the option of shutting down certain digis has not been
discussed yet.

73
Phil - AD6NH