[aprssig] time for APRS second generation network?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Wed Jan 5 15:22:52 EST 2005

> 3) Anything else is *taught* to be simply BAD PRACTICE

Aren't we already teaching that WIDEN-N, N>2 (or 3 or 4, depending on
location) is bad practice?

> Half of the value of the New n-N paradigm is simply that
> it forces a clean start and a clean set of user recommendations.

Agreed, but it also complicates user configuration, makes education
more difficult because of the extra rules, "fixes" WIDEN-N abuse simply
by jerking the rug out from under the abusers, and doesn't address the
lack of intelligent infrastructure nodes in the network.

I'm not saying the new n-N (or anything else about APRS) is bad, I'm
just saying that in order for APRS to continue to mature (or continue
to exist) we need to think about the next generation of network to
support APRS.

-Jason
kg4wsv