[aprssig] time for APRS second generation network?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Wed Jan 5 15:02:20 EST 2005

> there is no such thing as "routing" in APRS:

Putting "RELAY,WIDE" in a packet and aliasing digipeaters to respond to
the names RELAY and WIDE it meets the standard definition of source
routing.  I agree that source routing isn't "real" routing.

My RF LAN consists of all stations that can hear me and all stations I
can hear (my definition).  If a digipeater forwards a packet so that a
station that cannot hear me directly receives that packet then the
digipeater has routed my packet between two LANs - mine and the other
station's.

The problem is that our routers (digipeaters) are only capable of
source routing.  That's a poor way to route a packet, especially in a
dynamic (mobile, especially cross country) or unknown (SAR, come as you
are) environment.

If APRS uses a network, we should be able to apply some of the basic
networking terminology to it.  I tend to think in terms of the 7 layer
ISO reference model (even if we don't use all layers).

> 1) APRS is defined as one-to-all information sharing

This statement is either application layer information, or network
layer addressing information, depending on how you look at it.  It has
nothing directly to do with the underlying network.  It does influence
design decisions, but it does not define lower layers of the network
(OK, it may define the _interface_ between this layer and the next, but
it does not define the internals of the layers below).

> 2) It is physically impossible to have more than 60 or so
>     users in a single RF domain.

Wouldn't it be nice if the nodes on our network responsible for the
physical area we see were aware of that fact, and could adapt to it
dynamically?

> Thus, by definition, there simply is no such thing as "routing"
> on the APRS RF domain

There is no such thing as "real" routing in APRS RF networks now.
That's my point, and I think that is its biggest weakness.

This is _not_ to say that there _cannot_ be routing in APRS RF
networks.  If it really is a network, it can be routed.

Using a standard networking protocol layer breakdown, RF is simply the
physical layer.  There's a lot more network above that.  Routing is two
layers up, and doesn't necessarily care what's happening at layer 1.

You _can_ route on an RF network, and the routing model I'm talking
about is roughly analogous to logical subnetting of multiple IP
networks on a single LAN.  Right now you can't _practically_ route on
APRS-RF, simply because there are no routers to perform this function.

>  except in non-routine, unusual circumstances.  Otherwise "routing" is
> simply the APRS-IS.

IGates do the only real routing in the global APRS network, but only
between RF and IS.  Unfortunately, that's not where we need it the
most.

A real APRS router would:
	- simplify client configuration
	- stop client abuse of the network with excessive hops
	- statically determine how many hops are allowed in its physical area
	- avoid loops (the ping-pong effect)
	- reduce packet size (no "RELAY,WIDE2-2" to double the size of a Mic-E
packet)

in addition, it could:
	- dynamically resize it's definition of "local" to match traffic to
capability
	- only transmit packets that the LAN can handle

-Jason
kg4wsv