[aprssig] winlink

Kevin Brown - KC0CZI kc0czi at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 3 23:25:12 EST 2005

A good solution!

I am not trying to suggest the D7/D700 are totally useless for winlink BUT,
they do have a reduced set of feature functionality because of the hardware
limitations.  Using an external TNC is the correct answer!

I have seen many folks on this reflector express frustrations regarding
features/functionality of APRS being different depending upon which client
is being used.  I thought it was worth noting that IF someone wants to use
these radios with their integral TNCs - they are not going to get the same
feature/functionality as everyone else.

The reason why I blanket recommended that they aren't the most suitable is
because:

1.  To make them fully functional, you need an external modem.
2.  If you're going to go through that trouble, why not add a separate 2m
rig?
3.  Then you have the full capabilities of the D700 (beyond APRS!) and
Winlink.

No doubt about it with all due respect to Bob - the D7/D700 are NOT best
suited for full winlink functionality.