[aprssig] ACARS

Spider spider at rivcom.net
Sat Jan 1 14:52:39 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Earl Needham" <needhame1 at plateautel.net>
Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2005 12:26 PM
Subject: Re: [aprssig] ACARS

>         Gee, this just keeps getting harder.  I'd really like to "see"
> airplanes on my APRS screen, in addition to stations actually running
> APRS.  Is there a simple, easy, not expensive (read: NOT $750 for a box)
> way to do this?

Yeah, me too!  We were looking at providing this data on FireNet.  The
people interested in that stuff seemed to have burned out on the program
once we got looking into it.  No one is currently developing anything out
there...and all the soundcard software was at a standstill.

On another note, these newer Motorola HT's like the 1250's can be programmed
to squirt out packets that ID the unit.
A couple of our Fire Departments here are squirting out the packets but
nobody has any of the decoding equipment in dispatch, etc.  That too would
be a GREAT project for APRS!  It sounds like 2400 baud but have not dug into
this much.  Any out there know?

Jim, WA6OFT