Fw: [aprssig] APRS Monitoring and activity

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Jan 1 12:57:54 EST 2005

And just to be clear. all these discussion of WinLINK have 3
very separate and distinct threads:

1) How to get the location, PHG and coverage info onto APRS (144.39)
(using objects either locally or whatever)... for mobile awareness.

2) That WinLINK and all AX.25 packet applications should locally
beacon on their own operating frequency, and that these beacons
should include Position, Freuqency, PHG in an APRS format
so that simple monitoring can reveal AX.25 networks to infrequet
users.

3) and one step further is that these beacons should be "via RELAY"
and that all such systems should act as callsign subsitituting
digi's for their nearest neighbors so that the network and connectivity
of all AX.25 systems can be automatically and self-revealed on any
frequency by simple 10 minute APRS monitoring.

These three separate concepts must be clearly distinguished
 so that they can be individually argued and discussed without
ruining the advantages of the other two independently.

de Wb4APR, Bob

>>> "Spider" <spider at rivcom.net> 01/01/05 12:28 PM >>>
Bob, I am forwarding this email to Rick.  PHG could be possible in the
automation process.  I beleive this information is gathered during
registration, just not displayed in the  information we pull to create
the
objects.

Jim, WA6OFT