Fw: [aprssig] APRS Monitoring and activity

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Jan 1 18:07:51 EST 2005

Jim,
I agree.  We dont want to encourage users to try to link via
any digipeats on TelPac frequencies (unless of course
it is part of that local area design (example of node in basement
in valley and one uses a mountain top digi to extend its
range).  But on the other hand. In an emergency, and someone
needs to get to a TelPac node and has a perfectly good
relaying station in the midddle its a crime not to allow
that connectivity.

Its simple to discriminate by having the RELAY capability only be
for UI packets only.  AND then if somoene really does need
to link through another station, then they select the actual call
to do the link.  That is why we invented the UIDIGI list in most
modern digis for such generic RELAYing of beacon data while
dissallowing CONNECTIONS via generic paths.

Though a conection can be made via an actual call if needed.

Bob