[aprssig] Bob, Address the WIDE7-6 Possibility

Stephanie Steele kc7dba at spamcop.net
Tue Feb 22 17:18:31 EST 2005

In the Intermountain West it is critical that the high level digipeaters
respond to RELAY in order to support low power handheld mobiles used in
SAR activities. It would be nice to have everyone simply using WIDEN-N
but we can't risk someone who is not aware or capable of that path being
unable to access the digipeaters. Locally we encourge users to carefully
assess their need to use RELAY or any standard alias at home due to the
coverage afforded by the high level digis in most areas. Removing RELAY
from our digipeaters is not something I could even consider at this point.

Stephanie, KC7DBA

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) wrote:
> Then as a general rule, an N digi that has good coverage should not respond
> to RELAY, right?  RELAY should be used very sparingly and then only at
> smaller "home" sites.
>
> If we leave RELAY as an alias on the big digi's, the bad apples will soon
> figure out they can do RELAY,RELAY,RELAY, right?  Then we are back with the
> same problems.
>
> I say kill RELAY entirely.  It can be just as bad as WIDE.  Let's just move
> on with WIDEN-N and SSN-N and the advantages of the dupe checking that they
> bring.
>
> A.J.

Stephanie

*******************************

Fate, luck, and chance are easy prey for preparation.

*******************************

Friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have
trouble remembering how to fly.

*******************************

The information contained in this e-mail message is private and
entity to whom it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail message is
not the intended recipient you are notified any disclosure,
dissemination, distribution, copying or the taking of any action based
upon the information contained in this message is strictly prohibited.

de recta non tolerandum sunt

*******************************

...and for those who just can not get enough tag lines:

IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the
individual addressee(s) named above and may contain
information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable
for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no
sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are
not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution
or copying of this email is not authorized (either explicitly
or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.
Unless the word absquatulation has been used in its
correct context somewhere other than in this warning,
it does not have any legal or grammatical use and may
be ignored. No animals were harmed in the transmission
of this email, although the kelpie next door is living on
borrowed time, let me tell you.

Those of you with an overwhelming fear of the unknown
will be gratified to learn that there is no hidden message
revealed by reading this warning backwards, so just ignore
that Alert Notice from Microsoft. However, by pouring a
complete circle of salt around yourself and your computer
you can ensure that no harm befalls you and your pets.
If you have received this email in error, please add some
nutmeg and egg whites, whisk and place in a warm oven
for 40 minutes