[aprssig] Bob, Address the WIDE7-6 Possibility

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Feb 22 18:27:58 EST 2005

>>> ajfarmer at spenet.com 2/22/05 4:33:41 PM >>>
>Then as a general rule, an N digi that has good coverage
>should not respond to RELAY, right?  RELAY should be
>used very sparingly and then only at smaller "home" sites.

No, it has to be in every digi or it is useless.

>If we leave RELAY as an alias on the big digi's, the bad
>apples will soon figure out they can do RELAY,RELAY,RELAY,
>right?

I am not trying to fight the bad-apples.  That is impossible.
We are trying to design the best settings for everyone that
plays fairly.  If somnone uses RELAY,RELAY,RELAY it will
be so obvious that his name and call would not stand well
in the amateur community.

I think most of our problems are from users who just
downloaded and clicked to bring up APRS and have no
clue.  Some software gives the users no guidance at all.
So we have to be vigilant.  People need to look at the
paths and look at the raw network and see what
packets are cauising all the dupes...  they are easy
to spot.

In APRSdos, just look at the HEARD page.  It shows
how many packets per hour for the last 24 hours for
every station.  It instantly shows you where the
problems are...

Bob, WB4APR