[aprssig] Re: FindU Maps Quirky

KC2MMi kc2mmi at verizon.net
Wed Feb 9 20:27:55 EST 2005

No, Gerry. MS was (iirc) using the term wolfpacks for clusters on Windows
server systems that offer load sharing, redundancy, etc. I might have just
overheard an informal or incorrect usage, I don't normally work with
clusters.

Big corps might figure 2-3 years, but smaller ones often want five years.
Given the pace of change "versus" the normal workload in offices, for users
I sometimes recommend planning to replace 1/3 of the machines every year,
and passing down the upgraded ones within the corp if needed, so someone
always gets the most hp and the budget doesn't have to take a whole whack
every 3rd year. But so much depends on what people are doing and what they
need. Someone just using Office and "typing" could easily go 5 years, and of
course there's an awful lot to be said for staying on a stable platform and
mix in the rare care someone has them.<G> But after 5 years, the technology
has generally moved so far that an urgent case can be made for an upgrade,
for reliability and other issues.

For a mapping server for APRS, barring any huge surge in APRS users after
all those years, I think we vould predict demand fairly well and expect a
"sufficient" machine to live that long and keep doing whatever job it was
doing when it was set up. Replace it faster? Dunno, unless the Boy Scouts
require APRS badges, I can't see why there would be any change in the
workload, or the maps, in that time frame. So, no pressing case to upgrade
sooner. And I think, something to be said for the "donors" if we could say
"this investment will pay you back for five years" or "your investment will
carry us for five years" making a case for a larger donation that just a
shot for one piece here or there, to be repeated every year with another
annual plea. (PBS Telethon, anyone?<G>)