[aprssig] Re: FindU Maps Quirky

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Wed Feb 9 22:10:40 EST 2005

Apologies.  Microsoft apparently decided the Beowulf name had enough
recognition to snag a similar name.

Those of us who've been involved in embarassingly parallel
supercomputing have had our run-ins with Microsoft, where they tried to
tell us they'd fix all our problems.

Since I decided I didn't need the blue-screens, and didn't need to
reboot that frequently, I tended to ignore 'em.

Microsoft may (and that's a gamble), have figured out how to do load
sharing and redundancy.  I'd not go so far as to append ", etc.," as
they're NOT high-availability and are just barely, with .NET and XP,
able to handle computational clustering.

Most of the web-based mapping runs on Linux.  FindU runs on Linux.  They
are not likely to run cleanly... or reliably... on Windows.

I tend to budget a cluster upgrade every three years.  We can rarely get
funding to upgrade more frequently, and for computational systems,
mixing and matching is not a great idea.  That's the arena I live in.  I
don't do, nor do I recommend, office systems in either context.  My
desktop and my laptop are replaced when the warranty runs out.  Of
course, my desktop probably spends more time doing geodetic data
reduction or new numerical model runs than most systems around here...

With Findu2, and first.aprs.net, your 5-year model will probably
suffice.  However, I also am managing power conditioning and thermal
conditioning on 'em.  We run periodic diagnostics and I try to fix them
before they die.  For first.aprs.net, we're running SMART diagnostics.
The older SCSI drives in FindU2 don't offer that benefit.  We simply
test and FSCK periodically.

For what it's worth, the database aspects of James' operations are more
intensive than displaying a shapefile that's preexisting.  That's what
will drive server upgrades and replacements.

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173