[aprssig] D700 and NMEA waypoints

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Thu Dec 29 21:09:30 EST 2005

The D700 has a virtual SPDT switch inside for routing TNC data.  It
either goes straight to the serial port on the front panel (TNC PKT
MODE) OR it goes to the internal CPU for decoding (TNC APRS mode).

There is no need for the radio to see valid or any GPS data before it
will send waypoints out to a GPS as far as I know.  You just have to set
the APRS/GPS output format to the correct number of characters in the
waypoint name.  It will send a GPWPL string.... I'm not aware of any
mapping software that will even pay attention to this string.

You may wish to check google for the "anti-tracker".  I think _that_ guy
lives pretty close to you.... well, closer than I do!  ;-)

Wes