[aprssig] D700 and NMEA waypoints

Brad [VE3BSM] lists.nospam at bpsmicro.com
Sat Dec 31 14:39:12 EST 2005

Sorry Andy, I got a bit tied up and didn't play with this until today.

I have my D700 set to the APRS freq, in TNC PKT mode and WinPack running on
the PC so I can see everything coming in. The D700's APRS settings are set
for NMEA in & out (so in APRS mode it sends the waypoints), and my eMap is
plugged into the GPS port and has a sat lock. I first tested in TNC APRS
mode and made sure it all worked, then switched to TNC PKT mode.

By default, GPS sentences aren't forwarded out the data port, but if you
issue the command "LTMON <n>" to the D700 then it will forward a position
statement (in a rather proprietary format) every <n> seconds.
Unfortunately, received beacons are *not* sent back to the GPS in PKT mode.
:-(

Brad.
VE3BSM

  _____