[aprssig] Voice Repeater Posits...

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Dec 8 13:01:52 EST 2005

>> Also, local ECHOlink, IRLP and Winlink nodes
>> should also appear on the front panel of your
>> D7 or D700 radio.
>
> How is this supposed to work?... we have .. IRPL and
> ECHOlink nodes in town but have never seen info about
>these show  up on my display.

Three methods:

1) have the operator attach a TNC and 144.39 radio
to his IRLP or ECHOlink PC and then let it beacon its
ACTIVE status.  THis way it appears on the mobile as
BUSY, READY, or in use and what node it is talking to...
(At least I think this is in their code...?)

2)  But it in as an OBJECT packet into the bText of
your local digipeater as a DIRECT beacon.  This works,
but does not actively keep up with the changing status.
But it does alert travelers to the freq and PL, etc.

3) Have your local IGate operator enable the EXISTING
beacons from those nodes that are on the APRS-IS
to enable them to RF.  Then the IGate will send them
out locally.

Number 3 works because the IRLP and ECHOlink software
are supposed to generate these bacons and send them
into the APRS-IS whenever they change state.  All the
IGate has to do is allow them to go to RF...

Bob