[aprssig] Voice Repeater Posits...

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Dec 8 13:47:47 EST 2005

bruninga at usna.edu wrote:

>3) Have your local IGate operator enable the EXISTING
>beacons from those nodes that are on the APRS-IS
>to enable them to RF.  Then the IGate will send them
>out locally.
>
>Number 3 works because the IRLP and ECHOlink software
>are supposed to generate these bacons and send them
>into the APRS-IS whenever they change state.  All the
>IGate has to do is allow them to go to RF...
>
>Bob

I can't speak for IRLP, but as the operator of  Echolink node 14400
(which outputs on UHF RF), I CAN confirm that EchoLink DOES NOT
communicate with the APRS-IS !

 It can activate a TNC on RF, and it does communicate current node
status to a dedicated list on the EchoLink website via TCP/IP, but it
DOES NOT talk to the APRS Internet System.    The TNC setup takes
exclusive control of the TNC; no other APRS application can co-exist
with it except for UI-View running in the non-KISS (i.e. command line)
mode.  The path defaults to "RELAY" in a stock Echolink installation but
can be changed.
A second serial port and TNC will be required if normal APRS operation,
igating, etc is running on the same PC.

I wrote to the Echolink author suggesting/feature requesting    that the
interface support the AGW Packet Engine (which allows multiple apps to
share up to 16 hardware and soundcard soft TNCs) but I haven't heard
anything back.

Perhaps some day a new release of EchoLInk will incorporate this feature
which would  be really useful in my present setup.   [Where I am running
an VHF and HF igate, APRN and Echolink on a single dedicated PC.  AGW is
arbitrating the output from both sides of a KAM and the output of a
KPC3+, and then distributing these three logical streams to 4 copies of
UIview, UI-Traffic, UI-Messenger and APRS Emergency Alert. ]

P.S.  The help file in the current version of Echolink, in the paragraph
dealing with APRS,  is referencing the obsolete  .mil  domain for your
website instead of the  .edu  one.....

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths