Bad APRS citizens (was Re: [aprssig] Tiny Tracker?)

Richard Montgomery kb4ytm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 15:26:02 EDT 2005

Hey Jim,

I understand what you mean on the dont have/wont get part. There are 2
WX stations in southern IN that I have budlisted from 6 digi's that I
maintain down here in TN. They were both sending out 4 packets a minute
to WIDE4-4. Repeated emails and messages, even to the local digi sysop
went unanswered. The local digi could "mute" the excessive paths at
least, but like I said just silence to my responses.

Other digi sysops in IL and KY also budlisted them because of the
abusive path/rate issue.

Anyways, for the most part there has been positive responses to emails
and messages so the 'education' continues.

Later,
Richard

James Washer wrote:
> Well, this brings up a sore point. How to handle folks that "don't have"/"won't get" a clue.
>
> There's not much that can be done to keep them from consuming local RF bandwidth from their direct packets, but the local community could easily "black list" the station, or otherwise control the digipeating of the station. Igates could do the same thing. I'm guessing that a typical Igate is a full functioning PC, and hence could do any level of dup checking, for arbitrary lengths of time.
>
>  - jim
>
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:46:40 -0600
> Bruce Coates <bruce.coates at Sasktel.net> wrote:
>

>>We have a similar culprit around here and it's because he has a very small

APRS Traffic heard on 144.390 in Lexington, TN
http://richdea5.no-ip.org

Archived APRS traffic
http://richdea5.no-ip.org/usagehistory