Bad APRS citizens (was Re: [aprssig] Tiny Tracker?)

Brad [VE3BSM] lists.nospam at bpsmicro.com
Tue Aug 30 15:15:27 EDT 2005

I can't speak to other IGate  packages, but UI-View doesn't have much of a
capability other than excluding callsigns entirely. In our area though,
there are a bunch of IGates set up, many of them not routinely
monitored/maintained.

As I see it, there'd be two goals to "trapping" the bad APRS citizens. One
is to prevent (or minimize) RF propogation (eg. If you use RELAY nobody will
digi you); and the other to prevent APRS-IS propgation (eg. You won't be
seen on FindU).

In theory, eventually these people would notice that their beacons aren't
getting anywhere, and eventually start to ask questions.

In this area, a couple of us did the Bulletin thing several times. This had
a good amount of effect, but there are still a large number of users without
any messaging capabilities (eg. Only the Kenwood-equipped mobiles can get
messages AFAIK).