[aprssig] Power For a Lap Top

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Sun Aug 28 12:14:04 EDT 2005

Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
> Having fried an inverter doing this (but not with an Armada) make sure
> your inverter is rated for the max current of the power supply... and a
> bit (say, 25%) more.  The startup surge of the power supply and computer
> will be what'll fry the inverter's electronics and there's not much
> ferrite in the output of the inverter to help it cope.
>
> For my Dell Latitude D600, I use a 140 watt inverter to run a 90 watt
> supply.  I tried a 90 watt inverter and it lasted through one trip in a
> rental car... exactly what I needed but a costly learning opportunity.

For those with a SAM's club in their area, and with a card, or a friend with a card...

Sam's Club has a 500watt inverter for $28.00 and some change.  That's right, less than $30.00.  It comes in a plastic
carrying case with cables for power from a cigarette lighter, and battery terminal clips.  I split both of these in half
with Anderson power polls, and then run my inverter off of my power poll chassis mount
(http://www.powerwerx.com/category.asp?CtgID=1681) that is fed with #10 from the battery.  This works out just fine for
my more permanent installation in my pickup truck.  The carrying case is great for portable use.  It's bigger than the
slim 150watt versions that cost ~$90-$100, but the cost is a bit hard to beat, anywhere.

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW