[aprssig] Power For a Lap Top

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Aug 28 09:50:14 EDT 2005

Having fried an inverter doing this (but not with an Armada) make sure
your inverter is rated for the max current of the power supply... and a
bit (say, 25%) more.  The startup surge of the power supply and computer
will be what'll fry the inverter's electronics and there's not much
ferrite in the output of the inverter to help it cope.

For my Dell Latitude D600, I use a 140 watt inverter to run a 90 watt
supply.  I tried a 90 watt inverter and it lasted through one trip in a
rental car... exactly what I needed but a costly learning opportunity.

gerry