[aprssig] home fill-in digis & SSn-n

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Mon Aug 22 18:07:11 EDT 2005

On Aug 22, 2005, at 5:00 PM, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> Home fill-in digi's shouldn't normally be a part of SSn-N routing.
> It's up to the new-paradism WIDEn-N hilltops to do this stuff.

One thing I don't understand is why "fill-in" digis are recommended to
only digipeat the first hop.

If I'm in a dead spot (no coverage from big hilltop digi), then I not
only need help getting out, but I need help getting data back to me.
If the big digi can't hear me, then isn't it fairly reasonable to
assume I can't hear it, either?

All things being equal, shouldn't an area that needs a fill-in digi
need it to fill-in in both directions? (stupid digis that can't do
duplicate suppression would be one of the unequal things, I suppose).

-Jason
kg4wsv