[aprssig] home fill-in digis & SSn-n

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Aug 22 18:03:58 EDT 2005

>>> ve7gdh at rac.ca 08/22/05 5:47 PM >>>
>I know that all of the old home RELAY digis should
>change over to WIDE1-1.   However, should they
>also respond to SSn-n?

No.  We are trying to simplify APRS, not add back
complexity.  There are 4 reasons why we dont need this:

1) It is unnecessary complexity we dont need
2) Users of SSn-N are typically base stations with
    meaningful traffic for a state-net, not mobiles
    driving around
3) Mobiles cross state lines and the whole advantage
    of the WIDEn-N path is that it works everywhere.
4) FILL-IN digis in many cases can only support one
    ALIAS.  Hence "WIDE1-1"...

Bob, Wb4APR