[aprssig] Delayed Position Reports in Mobile situation

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Mon Aug 22 16:15:21 EDT 2005

At 02:11 PM 8/22/2005, Wes Johnston wrote:
>We had a discussion about this on the sig about 2 months ago.  Nothing
>came of it b/c the aprs-is people think there's nothing wrong with the
>IS, that it must be the IGATE station's ISP holding the packet.  We had
>one station in our area who was running UI-view and would deliver
>packets anywhere from 60secs to 10 minutes late.  The guy was connected
>to montana.aprs.net via AOL via Bellsouth DSL lines.  The solution for
>us was that the guy moved to atlanta, out of our area.  I sure wish we
>could find this problem.  Heck, I even wrote a script to query findu for
>position reports and match up the late reports and give you the time
>differential.

         I had EXACTLY this situation show up just today, while I was
messaging W9XXX.  He was within a few miles of me, yet I received a
position report on him from the internet (NOT RF) which backed him up about
13 miles that he had already travelled.  Was quite confusing, to say the least.

         Earl

Earl Needham, KD5XB, Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk
http://kd5xb-2.no-ip.info