[aprssig] Delayed Position Reports in Mobile situation

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Aug 22 16:34:35 EDT 2005

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Earl Needham wrote:

> At 02:11 PM 8/22/2005, Wes Johnston wrote:
> >We had a discussion about this on the sig about 2 months ago.  Nothing
> >came of it b/c the aprs-is people think there's nothing wrong with the
> >IS, that it must be the IGATE station's ISP holding the packet.  We had
> >one station in our area who was running UI-view and would deliver
> >packets anywhere from 60secs to 10 minutes late.  The guy was connected
> >to montana.aprs.net via AOL via Bellsouth DSL lines.  The solution for
> >us was that the guy moved to atlanta, out of our area.  I sure wish we
> >could find this problem.  Heck, I even wrote a script to query findu for
> >position reports and match up the late reports and give you the time
> >differential.
>
>          I had EXACTLY this situation show up just today, while I was
> messaging W9XXX.  He was within a few miles of me, yet I received a
> position report on him from the internet (NOT RF) which backed him up about
> 13 miles that he had already travelled.  Was quite confusing, to say the least.

There was code added to Xastir quite a few months back to drop
duplicate positions.  There's a togglebutton for turning this mode
on and off because there are situations where you don't want to be
doing this (one SAR mission in particular that I can recall).

Getting rid of some of these delayed/duplicate positions really
helps clean up everybody's tracks.  If you only have one igate
feeding positions from an area this technique might not help you, as
you won't have delayed duplicates.