[aprssig] Delayed Position Reports in Mobile situation

Terry Palmer terrypalmer2 at compuserve.com
Mon Aug 22 15:47:44 EDT 2005

Based on the advice below, I have changed my TX Interval from 30 secs to 1 minute and problem has gone away (so far; one afternoon) and my path is back to    WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2   to cover urban (Tampa) and country (Ruskin, Bradonton and remote highways).   Hope it lasts.  Thanks all for advice.

An extract of a msg from a local Digi sysop is quoted below:

    "........But wait, here's your ]4+ posit yet again, not at 3702, oddly enough,
    exactly another 179 seconds later.

    So in the case of this one posit, it was heard 3 times with 179 seconds
    between each of the entries into the intenet system, of course, with other
    heard posits, it'd make you bounce around like a ping pong ball.

    Suggestions:

    1:  Raise your beacon past 30 seconds.  Even 40, but 60 would be the ideal
    timing.

    2:  Make sure your radio's squelch is set so that it's not sitting on
    packets for long, I've seen D700's sit on packets for 30 minutes if the
    squelch is held open.

    3:  This one is a bit tricky.  We need to figure out whos' sitting on
    packets.  It appears that any posit heard -direct- and not via a DIGI
    behaved itself.  That being the case, there might be an issue with a local
     digipeater.

    Without watching this real time from multiple sites I have access to on RF
    as it's happening, and being able to do ping/queries to follow paths, it's
    really hard to say exactly who's doing this, but there is indeed something
    amiss."