[aprssig] Re: KPC-3 8.2 settings

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sun Aug 21 16:52:05 EDT 2005

Stephen WA8LMF wrote on 21/08/2005

> In UI-View, pull down Setup, Digipeater Setup and place "WIDE1-1"
> (the New Paradigm home station replacement for "RELAY")  into the
> "Alias(es)" field and check "Enable Digi".

Arte - Don't forget to enable "UI Only" and "Alias Substitution" and place
your own callsign-ssid in the Sub Alias field. Try 30 seconds for "dupe
seconds".

Your station will then respond to a beacon that has a path that starts with
WIDE1-1 (only UI frames will be digipeated) and will ignore everything else.
With "alias substitution" enabled and your callsign entered in "sub aliases"
your UI-View32 digipeater will insert its callsign, thus identifying your
station as having first digipeated it. It won't digipeat a beacon which it
had digipeated within the previous 30 seconds. This is part of "dupe"
suppression.

As you mentioned, there are existing digis around you... presumably some of
them are WIDEn-n digipeaters. Don't enable WIDEn-n in your digipeater unless
you are in a fairly high location, and probably only if you are as high or
higher than the existing WIDEN-N digipeaters, and even then, only if doing
so will improve the network instead of harming it. Enabling your digi for
WIDE1-1 will almost never harm the network. Run only enough power to be
heard by the nearest WIDEn-n digi. If you both hear it and both respond to
it at the same time, more distant WIDEn-n digis will only hear the true
WIDEn-n digi (FM capture effect) but if you hear it but the WIDEn-n doesn't,
you will have helped the mobile station reach the WIDEn-n digi.

You mentioned that you thought your TNC "hears better" in KISS mode. As far
as I know, the TNC should hear equally well in KISS mode and in terminal
mode. However, if you have the squelch run wide open on the radio and have
the TNC set to software carrier detect, it will really help you hear the
weak signals. Even if you can't decode all of the really weak or distorted
signals, it will help prevent you from transmitting while there is other
activity on the frequency.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH