[aprssig] Re: KPC-3 8.2 settings

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Aug 21 14:17:52 EDT 2005

n2zrc at earthlink.net wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>     My home APRS station hears  and can be heard pretty well ... but there are
>existing DIGIs  in the area that sufficiently cover much of it.   Still,  there
>are, of course, areas that they simply, because of terrain and buildings, don't
>have coverage from any of them.  In the ancient practice of acting as a fill-in
>digi, I've had my KPC-3 Plus v8.2 acting as RELAY.  It is now, however, in KISS
>mode using the last version of UI-View.  In light of the "New WideN-N Paradigm"
>I want to comply with current recommendations,  yet see the need for continuing
>to act as a fill-in digi.
>
>     I can always set the TNC to some mode other than KISS if necessary, but I
>would prefer keeping it there (UI-View seems to "hear" better that way).  What
>are the current recommended settings from within  UI-View ... or can this only
>be done from within the TNC since UI-View is no longer under development?   73

In UI-View, pull down Setup, Digipeater Setup and place "WIDE1-1" (the
New Paradigm home station replacement for "RELAY")  into the "Alias(es)"
field and check "Enable Digi".

There are much more elaborate things you can do by editing .INI files
but these are the basic settings.   Note that the UIview internal
digipeater won't be available at all unless you are in KISS mode.  In
the KISS mode, UIview handles all the digipeating functions;  the
outdated ver 8.2 firmware in the KPC3+ isn't even an issue since it
isn't used.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths