[aprssig] KPC-3 8.2 settings

Ed L. Locklear, KF4CHG kf4chg at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 21 17:06:53 EDT 2005

Arte Booten wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>      My home APRS station hears  and can be heard pretty well ... but there are
> existing DIGIs  in the area that sufficiently cover much of it.   Still,  there
> are, of course, areas that they simply, because of terrain and buildings, don't
> have coverage from any of them.  In the ancient practice of acting as a fill-in
> digi, I've had my KPC-3 Plus v8.2 acting as RELAY.  It is now, however, in KISS
> mode using the last version of UI-View.  In light of the "New WideN-N Paradigm"
> I want to comply with current recommendations,  yet see the need for continuing
> to act as a fill-in digi.
>
>      I can always set the TNC to some mode other than KISS if necessary, but I
> would prefer keeping it there (UI-View seems to "hear" better that way).  What
> are the current recommended settings from within  UI-View ... or can this only
> be done from within the TNC since UI-View is no longer under development?   73

Arte,

1. Shut down UI-View32

2. Copy uiview32.ini to a backup location. (It is in your main uiview32
directory)

3. Edit uiview32.ini (in the main uiview32 directory as shown below:
(Make sure to use a TEXT editor, not Microsoft Word or any other word
processor that puts formatting commands in the text!) Notepad works
fine.  Below is the pertinent section of UIVIEW32.INI found in the
install directory for UI-VIEW32.

Find the [DIGI_OPTIONS] section of the file and change TWO items ONLY.
Please note that the UIFLOOD change is your two-letter postal state
abbreviation or ARRL section.

[DIGI_OPTIONS]
DIGI_ENABLED=TRUE
UI_ONLY=TRUE
ALIAS_SUBSTITUTION=TRUE
DUPE_SUPPESS_SECONDS=30
ALIAS=N2CRZ-10,WIDE1-1
UIFLOOD=NY
UITRACE=""
WIDEN-N=TRUE
TRACEN-N=FALSE
SUBST_ALIAS=N2CRZ-10
EXCLUDED=""

You could just as easily cut and paste the above then do 4 & 5 below.

4. Save your changed file.
5. Restart UI-View32

The above will make UI-View a Fill-In digi with State support or change
UIFLOOD= to whatever your area uses, check with the other digi owners or
the coordinator for your area.

Ed, KF4CHG