[aprssig] FlashBack!; Sony/RatShack GPS 201-1601

Mark Earle wa2mct at mearle.com
Sat Aug 20 09:23:11 EDT 2005

At 02:04 AM 8/20/2005 -0700, Matthew Stennett wrote:
 >HELLO ALL:
 >I am BACK;
 >
 >I managed to aquire one of these little babbies
 >through one of my brothers.

http://w5ac.tamu.edu/~kj5o/digi_traveler_mod.html

Discusses a power mod and how it senses if it should turn on.

 >I have it wired to function just fine on
 >laptop/desktop/Win/Mac versions of GPS Applications.
 >I can NOT get it to work through my USB <> Serial
 >Adaptor on my 1st Generation iMac; DV, 400MHz.

I use a "Purple Computing" usb serial adaptor under Windows and it works
without modification.

 >  How do I go about feeding the GPS signal into the
 >TNC/APRS Program?

It will work with a TNC or Tiny Track or PicE. Build a cable with two and 3
"flipped" from how you have it now to use with your PC. Connect this null
modem to your tnc or tracker and it should work. Of course, you would have
to set the tnc serial port to be looking for GPS - most tnc's have a few
commands to do this.

 >P.S. I also have the DeLorme Software that came with
 >it, anybody care to utor me through it's use?

I hever bothered, having Street Atlas 9 and Topo USA - the GPS works fine
with these two, I just specify "NMEA" gps in the program config, specify
the com port, and off it goes.

       ) )    de WA2MCT Mark
      ( (     Echolink 99190      Grid Square EL17HQ
       ) )    You will be assimilated... oooh, coffee!!
    _|****|   http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?wa2mct-7 Home
   ( |    |   http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=wa2mct-9 Mobile
    `|____|   wa2mct at mearle.com  wa2mct at juno.com  wa2mct at arrl.net