[aprssig] How to digi 6x in the New APRS world?

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at jnos.org
Tue Aug 16 13:55:55 EDT 2005

> Well let's see, I personally know two rovers just in the NWVT area,
> using our sparsely populated, by ham standards, as a guide that would
> put the figure at 12-18 rovers minimum over the region Ev is  proposing
> to cover. Allowing a 'gentle' rate of 15 minute beacons,  each rover
> could possibly generate 4-600 frames per hour ... times   15 rovers let
> us say, so 7.5-10K extra frames per hour .... I am  sorry but no network
> can handle that much extra, it would be a major  additional load here on
> the 'fringe' between the Montreal and Albany (NY) LANs, and if it got
> into those LANS, which it would it would  cripple them.

The math here is a bit exaggerated.  Each rover, at a 15 minute rate,
would generate 4 packets per hour per digipeater.  So even with 20
rovers, that's only 80 extra packets per hour - roughly one a minute.  A
small price to pay for folks out "doing real radio stuff."

Is somebody actually hears 120 digipeaters in one location - then yes,
they would be a bit swamped.  If somebody hears 120 digis - they're
swamped to start with.

Bill