[aprssig] PCSAT2 Server Settings - Important Information!

Phillip B. Pacier ad6nh at arrl.net
Fri Aug 5 14:29:12 EDT 2005

I think I had better write a little explanation as to how we set up the
server network for the PCSAT2 data.  It is a little complex, but it was
necessary to keep the data where it belongs.

For *sending* any APRS formatted data from any satellite, you can use
any standard port on any server in the network.  You do have the option
of using aprsca.net:10150 for sending your data as well.  This has not
changed and will not change.

For *sending* any non-APRS formatted data, including the new 9600 baud
PCSAT2 telemetry, you *MUST* use the new port 20150 on the PCSAT2
servers.  The address to use is pc2.aprsca.net - this is a round-robin
DNS address that will spread the connections out between the servers in
the PCSAT2 network.  It is very important that 9600 baud telemetry
SatGates connect to this address and this port so the non-APRS formatted
data will not end up on the general APRS-IS network.

For *receiving* satellite data *without* the special 9600 baud
telemetry, you can connect to any standard port on any server in the
network.  You do have the option of using satgate.aprsca.net:10150 for
this as well.

For *receiving* the special 9600 baud telemetry data by itself or in
combination with any other satellite data, you *MUST* use
satgate.aprsca.net:10150 for this purpose.  This is the only port and
address currently operating that will combine the data feeds and send
them to you, while NOT allowing the telemetry data to propagate to the
APRS-IS.  Use your software's filter settings to select the appropriate
filters according to the data you want to receive.

A couple of notes: I see some of you are connecting to port 20150 and
setting a filter to see all satellite data.  Note that this will NOT
work.  The only data you can *receive* on port 20150 is the special
telemetry data, no matter what filters you set.  In short, if you want
to receive the satellite data, please use port 10150.

If you have any questions about the PCSAT2 network, or how to arrange
your connection, don't hesitate to send me an email.  Thanks!

73
Phil Pacier - AD6NH
PCSAT2 Server Coordinator (among other things...)