[aprssig] KPC3+ in CMD mode or KISS using XASTIR

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Apr 29 09:10:42 EDT 2005

>>> Patrick Green <pagreen at gmail.com> 4/29/2005 12:01:03 AM
>  I want to set up ...my dad... as a fill in digi... I'm
> worried about...staying on the air.

This has always been an issue.  That is why I like real
TNC's at sites like this.  But you cannot have both the
TNC and the software doingidentification.  Most software
does not have the ability to NOT beacon its position.
So therefor beacons in the TNC are all turned off.

But maybe it is good for software to consider being
able to completely turn off the software beacon, and
letting the TNC beacon run always so that if the software
or PC dies, the TNC still operates as a digi and still
identifies itself...

Again, you cannot have dual position beacons on the
air or ou drive other peoples logging software nuts
in capturing constatnly changing position reports.

Bob