[aprssig] KPC3+ in CMD mode or KISS using XASTIR

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Apr 29 11:01:23 EDT 2005

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> >  I want to set up ...my dad... as a fill in digi... I'm
> > worried about...staying on the air.
>
> This has always been an issue.  That is why I like real
> TNC's at sites like this.  But you cannot have both the
> TNC and the software doingidentification.  Most software
> does not have the ability to NOT beacon its position.
> So therefor beacons in the TNC are all turned off.
>
> But maybe it is good for software to consider being
> able to completely turn off the software beacon, and
> letting the TNC beacon run always so that if the software
> or PC dies, the TNC still operates as a digi and still
> identifies itself...

You could do this with a serial TNC in command mode plus Xastir.
Xastir lets you turn off all transmissions, posits only, or
objects/items only.

You could certainly have the TNC quickly recover when power comes up
to do your digipeating, or you could put the TNC/radio on
battery/UPS power so that they runs with/without the computer when
the AC lines fail.